UTM beats TSU in final game of the season
After a season of ups and downs, UTM Skyhawks finish on a good note.
UTM's senior day started on the 50-yard line. Graduating members of the football team and the band were announced and escorted onto the field by family and friends. When it was time for the coin toss, the seniors went for it.
After a tense five minutes of play, UTM capitalized. Carr connected with Quentin Sims for a 32-yard touchdown. Cody Sandlin's extra point was good. The Skyhawks were up 7-0 with nearly eleven minutes left in the first quarter.
The Skyhawks weren't finished in the first quarter. Once again, Carr found Sims for a 50-yard touchdown and Sandlin's extra point was good. With less than two minutes left on the clock, TSU's Jamin Godfrey hit a 29-yard field goal. At the end of the first, UTM was leading 14-3.
The second quarter saw an exciting run by Jason McNair. After losing the ball on the fourth down, TSU punted. McNair caught the ball and ran for a 75-yard touchdown. The fans went nuts, as did the bands. When there was a timeout, there was a battle of the bands. With a last ditch effort, Godfrey hit a 22-yard field goal. At the end of the first half, UTM led 21-6.
Momentum for the Skyhawks slowed down in the third quarter. The only touchdown run for the Skyhawks was a one-yard touchdown by DJ McNeil.
When the fourth quarter started, TSU turned up the heat. Michael German connected with A.C. Leonard for an 18-yard touchdown. Godfrey's extra point went through the uprights. The score was now 28-13.
Another amazing run for TSU brought in two more touchdowns for the team. With 6:42 left in the game, German hit Joe Bowens for a four-yard touchdown. The extra point was good. The score was 28-20. German found Leonard for an 18-yard touchdown but failed with to tie the game when UTM blocked the pass. It was a two-point game with UTM leading 28-26.
With a 1:10 left in the game, Carr made a last ditch effort. He let the ball fly and connected with Sims in the end zone for a 33-yard touchdown. Sandlin's extra point was good. The last seconds ticked down then finally hit zero. UTM won the final game of the season 35-26.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Pacer News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE PACER NEWS
RECENT THE PACER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Skydiving Vikings to Deliver Minnesota's Game Ball
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!