UTM beats TSU in final game of the season
After a season of ups and downs, UTM Skyhawks finish on a good note.
UTM's senior day started on the 50-yard line. Graduating members of the football team and the band were announced and escorted onto the field by family and friends. When it was time for the coin toss, the seniors went for it.
After a tense five minutes of play, UTM capitalized. Carr connected with Quentin Sims for a 32-yard touchdown. Cody Sandlin's extra point was good. The Skyhawks were up 7-0 with nearly eleven minutes left in the first quarter.
The Skyhawks weren't finished in the first quarter. Once again, Carr found Sims for a 50-yard touchdown and Sandlin's extra point was good. With less than two minutes left on the clock, TSU's Jamin Godfrey hit a 29-yard field goal. At the end of the first, UTM was leading 14-3.
The second quarter saw an exciting run by Jason McNair. After losing the ball on the fourth down, TSU punted. McNair caught the ball and ran for a 75-yard touchdown. The fans went nuts, as did the bands. When there was a timeout, there was a battle of the bands. With a last ditch effort, Godfrey hit a 22-yard field goal. At the end of the first half, UTM led 21-6.
Momentum for the Skyhawks slowed down in the third quarter. The only touchdown run for the Skyhawks was a one-yard touchdown by DJ McNeil.
When the fourth quarter started, TSU turned up the heat. Michael German connected with A.C. Leonard for an 18-yard touchdown. Godfrey's extra point went through the uprights. The score was now 28-13.
Another amazing run for TSU brought in two more touchdowns for the team. With 6:42 left in the game, German hit Joe Bowens for a four-yard touchdown. The extra point was good. The score was 28-20. German found Leonard for an 18-yard touchdown but failed with to tie the game when UTM blocked the pass. It was a two-point game with UTM leading 28-26.
With a 1:10 left in the game, Carr made a last ditch effort. He let the ball fly and connected with Sims in the end zone for a 33-yard touchdown. Sandlin's extra point was good. The last seconds ticked down then finally hit zero. UTM won the final game of the season 35-26.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Pacer News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE PACER NEWS
RECENT THE PACER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- This Year, Make a Goal to Contribute More to Your 401(k)
- Giving the Elderly a Lift -- In Their Home
- 4-H Grown: Alumni Asked to Stand Up and Support STEM...
- Haven't Tried Sardines? Try These
- Weatherizing Your Home Can Mean Big Benefits
- 10 Tips to Stay Safe During Spring Break
- 10 Tips for Staying Safe During Spring Break
- 3 Things to Know Before Ride-Booking a Car
- For Advanced Heart Failure Patients, There Is Hope
- Bringing Chiropractic to the Little League
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Potential health risks of hookah smoking are being overlooked by users
- Study Finds College-age Millennials Hopeful for the Future, Worry about Student Loans and Overspending
- RetailMeNot Helps Students Save Money on Spring Break Travel
- Visit Virtual Study Abroad Fair on February 25 to explore study abroad options and win prizes
- Students kill three birds with one stone