UTM beats TSU in final game of the season
After a season of ups and downs, UTM Skyhawks finish on a good note.
UTM's senior day started on the 50-yard line. Graduating members of the football team and the band were announced and escorted onto the field by family and friends. When it was time for the coin toss, the seniors went for it.
After a tense five minutes of play, UTM capitalized. Carr connected with Quentin Sims for a 32-yard touchdown. Cody Sandlin's extra point was good. The Skyhawks were up 7-0 with nearly eleven minutes left in the first quarter.
The Skyhawks weren't finished in the first quarter. Once again, Carr found Sims for a 50-yard touchdown and Sandlin's extra point was good. With less than two minutes left on the clock, TSU's Jamin Godfrey hit a 29-yard field goal. At the end of the first, UTM was leading 14-3.
The second quarter saw an exciting run by Jason McNair. After losing the ball on the fourth down, TSU punted. McNair caught the ball and ran for a 75-yard touchdown. The fans went nuts, as did the bands. When there was a timeout, there was a battle of the bands. With a last ditch effort, Godfrey hit a 22-yard field goal. At the end of the first half, UTM led 21-6.
Momentum for the Skyhawks slowed down in the third quarter. The only touchdown run for the Skyhawks was a one-yard touchdown by DJ McNeil.
When the fourth quarter started, TSU turned up the heat. Michael German connected with A.C. Leonard for an 18-yard touchdown. Godfrey's extra point went through the uprights. The score was now 28-13.
Another amazing run for TSU brought in two more touchdowns for the team. With 6:42 left in the game, German hit Joe Bowens for a four-yard touchdown. The extra point was good. The score was 28-20. German found Leonard for an 18-yard touchdown but failed with to tie the game when UTM blocked the pass. It was a two-point game with UTM leading 28-26.
With a 1:10 left in the game, Carr made a last ditch effort. He let the ball fly and connected with Sims in the end zone for a 33-yard touchdown. Sandlin's extra point was good. The last seconds ticked down then finally hit zero. UTM won the final game of the season 35-26.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Pacer News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE PACER NEWS
RECENT THE PACER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Key Ingredients for a Healthy Heart
- Spring Cleaning Made Easy to Help Tackle Inanimate Allergens
- For Love of the Game -- Smokeless Tobacco Still a Part of...
- How Plumbing Is Flushing Into the Future
- New App Takes the Task Out of Boat Maintenance
- Talk Before You Take When Dealing With Medicine
- Eclectic Father's Day Gift Ideas for Dad
- When on an Association Board, Education Is a Must
- Anti-Cancer Compounds Show Promise in Early Research
- 5 Ways to Keep Your Home Clean During a Remodel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'
- UT Austin Tops All-America Student Analyst Competition 2014-15
- SVG, NACDA Announce Finalists for 2015 College Sports Media Awards