Governor's School suffers financial cut
Governor's school is a four-week summer program for gifted and talented high school juniors and seniors that offers college credit to those that attend. Tennessee Governor's School is offered at eight different locations across the state such as Austin Peay State University, East Tennessee State University, Middle Tennessee State University, Tennessee Tech, University of Memphis, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, University of Tennessee at Knoxville and University of Tennessee at Martin.
UTM offers Governor's School in Humanities and Agricultural Sciences and has a very successful program. During the 2012 Humanities program, scholars rated the program 4.71, with five being "excellent." Unfortunately, the budget has been cut by 26 percent for all Tennessee Governor's Schools this year. The budget for the program covers all the student's expenses including housing, books, tuition, etc.
There will be a lot of changes in the program throughout Tennessee because of this financial decrease. Last year, 72 students attended UTM's Governor's School for Humanities; however, this year only 64 students will be allowed to attend due to the budget decrease. The decrease in the budget will also result in two fewer classes being offered to the students. The reduced class offerings will also cause class size to increase slightly.
"It is regrettable that the only special education program for high achieving students has to suffer from the economic downturn supporting public education," said Steve Vantrease, UTM Governor's School Budget and Student Services Coordinator.
Governor's School is a great way to enrich the knowledge of high school juniors and seniors and also give them a feel of college classes. It is unfortunate that the budget has been cut and that eight fewer students will be given the chance to experience something as great as the UTM Governor's School for the Humanities.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Pacer News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE PACER NEWS
RECENT THE PACER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Skydiving Vikings to Deliver Minnesota's Game Ball
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!