Governor's School suffers financial cut
Governor's school is a four-week summer program for gifted and talented high school juniors and seniors that offers college credit to those that attend. Tennessee Governor's School is offered at eight different locations across the state such as Austin Peay State University, East Tennessee State University, Middle Tennessee State University, Tennessee Tech, University of Memphis, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, University of Tennessee at Knoxville and University of Tennessee at Martin.
UTM offers Governor's School in Humanities and Agricultural Sciences and has a very successful program. During the 2012 Humanities program, scholars rated the program 4.71, with five being "excellent." Unfortunately, the budget has been cut by 26 percent for all Tennessee Governor's Schools this year. The budget for the program covers all the student's expenses including housing, books, tuition, etc.
There will be a lot of changes in the program throughout Tennessee because of this financial decrease. Last year, 72 students attended UTM's Governor's School for Humanities; however, this year only 64 students will be allowed to attend due to the budget decrease. The decrease in the budget will also result in two fewer classes being offered to the students. The reduced class offerings will also cause class size to increase slightly.
"It is regrettable that the only special education program for high achieving students has to suffer from the economic downturn supporting public education," said Steve Vantrease, UTM Governor's School Budget and Student Services Coordinator.
Governor's School is a great way to enrich the knowledge of high school juniors and seniors and also give them a feel of college classes. It is unfortunate that the budget has been cut and that eight fewer students will be given the chance to experience something as great as the UTM Governor's School for the Humanities.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Pacer News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE PACER NEWS
RECENT THE PACER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists