Fraternity recruitment can be a confusing, yet exhilarating time for rushees.
Rush will be held Sept 11-15.
Fraternities participating in the Interfraternity Council recruitment are Alpha Gamma Rho, Alpha Tau Omega, Kappa Alpha Order, Phi Sigma Kappa, Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Sigma Chi and Sigma Phi Epsilon.
Each fraternity has their own unique characteristics that unite the men in a strong bond of brotherhood.
"Everyone should give Greek Life some consideration. Rush week is a fun and exciting experience," said Jacob Stults, member of Alpha Gamma Rho.
Recruitment week consists of formal nights, informal nights and if a bid is awarded, bid day as well.
"On [the two] formal nights, rushees will visit half of the fraternity houses [per night]. Informal nights will allow them to choose the fraternities they want to revisit and learn more about," Stults said.
Although it can be nerve-racking going through each house, keep in mind that the men are willing to talk and answer any questions.
"Feel free to talk to the fraternity members, they want to get to know you," Stults said.
On formal nights, attire is very important. Most will wear khakis with a nice button down shirt and most likely a blazer. Casual wear is appropriate for informal nights, however keep in mind an impression is being made, so wearing nice clothes would be recommended.
Informal nights will include dinner at the houses. Each house will offer something different. Typically, Alpha Gamma Rho offers wild game, Pi Kappa Alpha offers crawfish and Sigma Alpha Epsilon usually offers wings. Of course, each house will be providing dinner and a chance to better know those interested in their fraternities.
Joining a fraternity should be about where the rushee best thinks they will fit in and the place they will best be benefited during their four years.
"I am very glad I joined my fraternity, I have met far more people and developed many more networking opportunities than I would have otherwise," Stults said.
Each fraternity has a philanthropy in which they spend the year raising money for. Typically, each fraternity has a designated week throughout the year where they host events to raise awareness and money for their philanthropies. Some of these events include Sigma Chi's Derby Days, Pi Kappa Alpha's Pike's Peak Weak and Alpha Tau Omega's Frog Hop.
Alpha Gamma Rho raises money for "Ag in the Classroom" and Alpha Tau Omega for St. Jude. Kappa Alpha Order raises money for the Muscular Dystrophy Association while Phi Sigma Kappa supports the Carl Perkins for the Prevention of Child Abuse.
Pi Kappa Alpha raises funds for the Weakley County Reading Railroad; Sigma Alpha Epsilon raises money for the Children's Miracle Network and Sigma Chi provides funds for the Huntsman Cancer Institute. Sigma Phi Epsilon raises money for two philanthropies, Youth AIDS and T.A.K.E. Defense.
Along with raising money for their philanthropies, the brothers of each fraternity work hard to maintain a high GPA. The Greek community typically has some of the highest grades on the UTM campus.
The fraternities also participate in events during homecoming and Greek Week. Some of these events include lip-sync, rope pull and Habitat for Humanity.
Joining the Greek community opens up many opportunities for volunteering, as well as making lasting networks with business people.
"[Joining my fraternity] has provided me with many opportunities that I would not have had outside of Greek life," said Stults.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Pacer News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE PACER NEWS
RECENT THE PACER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
- Straighten Up if You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”
- Bring Snoop Dogg to Your College Campus