Bob Beard, Head Rifle Coach, has been coaching at UTM since 1982. His team has been ranked in the Top 20 nationally at season's end in 29 of 30 years.
"This year's team has been working hard and we have several top-ranked shooters. Everyone just needed an opportunity to show what they can do," said Beard.
The Skyhawk rifle team opened their season against the Memphis Tigers. Starting the season off right,
"I think 11 out of our 13 shooters set new personal bests," said Coach Beard.
Fifteen career-highs were either set or tied at least one career-high. Senior Jessica Cobb started it off with a remarkable career high of 590 in the air rifle.
"We are real proud of Jessica - she beat a couple All-Americans in the field," Beard said.
Jamie Arnett tied a career best with 571, a career best from Jennifer Greeves with 547, and Jordan Goodwin shot a career-high 557. The mixed squad had a smallbore score of 2,273 and the women's team had a total of 4,440.
Against Murray State, the mixed team scored a total of 4,571 and the women had a total of 4,465. Dana Maurizio led the mixed team in air rifle with a 585 score, her career best. Mark McClallen, Sean O'Brien, and Jordan Jensen all set new career-highs against Murray State. Nikki Kroll set a new career-high with an astounding 585 in air rifle, and Kelly James' had a career-high of 578.
In the Ole Miss Invitational, UT Martin's 4,601 points were one point better than Ole Miss Amongst many top rifle teams in the nation, the Skyhawks held their own in the Ole Miss Invitational. The mixed team finished seventh with a total score of 4,584. The women's squad came in 11th with a total of 4,460. Kelly James started the women's team in smallbore on the right foot with a career-high with 564 points.
The UTM Rifle Team had the fourth-highest air rifle score in program history against Morehead State and Kentucky. At Morehead State, Kroll started the women's team off with a team-high of 568 in air rifle. Goodwin scored her career-best of 563, James' 558 was ranked as a team-best for the women's team in smallbor. Kroll, Goodwin, and Jennifer Greeves followed close behind to take the win.
The last match for the fall season was against Kentucky. The Skyhawk mixed team attained a total of 4,577 points, while the women raked in 4,456 points. Kroll led the women's team with a total of 578. Arnett with a 566, James and Goodwin, with a career-best, fired for a 565 and 563. Greeves' finished up scoring with a total of 554 points.
The Skyhawk rile team has accomplished a lot so far.
Beard said, "The whole team has done very well this semester."
The team will not be back in action until January 18 against Murray State.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Pacer News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE PACER NEWS
RECENT THE PACER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership
- PAOLO NUTINI CELEBRATES U.S. RELEASE OF “CAUSTIC LOVE”