Bob Beard, Head Rifle Coach, has been coaching at UTM since 1982. His team has been ranked in the Top 20 nationally at season's end in 29 of 30 years.
"This year's team has been working hard and we have several top-ranked shooters. Everyone just needed an opportunity to show what they can do," said Beard.
The Skyhawk rifle team opened their season against the Memphis Tigers. Starting the season off right,
"I think 11 out of our 13 shooters set new personal bests," said Coach Beard.
Fifteen career-highs were either set or tied at least one career-high. Senior Jessica Cobb started it off with a remarkable career high of 590 in the air rifle.
"We are real proud of Jessica - she beat a couple All-Americans in the field," Beard said.
Jamie Arnett tied a career best with 571, a career best from Jennifer Greeves with 547, and Jordan Goodwin shot a career-high 557. The mixed squad had a smallbore score of 2,273 and the women's team had a total of 4,440.
Against Murray State, the mixed team scored a total of 4,571 and the women had a total of 4,465. Dana Maurizio led the mixed team in air rifle with a 585 score, her career best. Mark McClallen, Sean O'Brien, and Jordan Jensen all set new career-highs against Murray State. Nikki Kroll set a new career-high with an astounding 585 in air rifle, and Kelly James' had a career-high of 578.
In the Ole Miss Invitational, UT Martin's 4,601 points were one point better than Ole Miss Amongst many top rifle teams in the nation, the Skyhawks held their own in the Ole Miss Invitational. The mixed team finished seventh with a total score of 4,584. The women's squad came in 11th with a total of 4,460. Kelly James started the women's team in smallbore on the right foot with a career-high with 564 points.
The UTM Rifle Team had the fourth-highest air rifle score in program history against Morehead State and Kentucky. At Morehead State, Kroll started the women's team off with a team-high of 568 in air rifle. Goodwin scored her career-best of 563, James' 558 was ranked as a team-best for the women's team in smallbor. Kroll, Goodwin, and Jennifer Greeves followed close behind to take the win.
The last match for the fall season was against Kentucky. The Skyhawk mixed team attained a total of 4,577 points, while the women raked in 4,456 points. Kroll led the women's team with a total of 578. Arnett with a 566, James and Goodwin, with a career-best, fired for a 565 and 563. Greeves' finished up scoring with a total of 554 points.
The Skyhawk rile team has accomplished a lot so far.
Beard said, "The whole team has done very well this semester."
The team will not be back in action until January 18 against Murray State.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Pacer News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE PACER NEWS
RECENT THE PACER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Workers Say a Good Cup of Coffee Can Make Entire Workday...
- Fresh Fruit Delivers Fun and Nutrition
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHOLE YOU CHALLENGES THE HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY AND PUBLIC TO HELP FIND SOLUTIONS FOR THOSE WITH ORAL AND VISION LIMITATIONS
- 10 Reasons Why Cancun is the Spring Break Mecca of the World
- What's Next in Learning Spaces?
- carpooling, Europe's No. 1 ridesharing app, debuts in U.S. to college market
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor