Faculty Profile: Katie Smith fills Student Organization Coordinator position
Some students may have noticed emails from a new sender on their email accounts over the last few weeks.
This new person is Katie Smith. Smith has been named to the Student Organization Coordinator position on an interim basis. She will be in charge of all student organizations on the UTM campus as well as informing the student body of all activities hosted by student organizations.
She graduated with a Bachelors degree in Music and a minor in Sociology. Smith says she has used both in her careers. She was highly involved in student organizations in both high school and college; Smith believes her new position is a way to mix her knowledge of both.
Outside of UTM, Smith is involved in several things in the Martin community. She is the new music director at her church. Last year, she also played in the UTM Clarinet Choir.
Smith came to Martin because her husband accepted a teaching position in the Music Department at UTM and she moved with him. She worked in the Martin community for a year before joining the UTM family.
The position of Student Organization Coordinator is designed to be the go-to place for all questions regarding UTM's student organizations. Smith will be the main person for all questions regarding OrgSync. She will also be offering training for presidents and club officers.
"I want to bring unity to the student organizations and offer a place where organizations can have their questions and concerns heard," said Smith.
Smith will also be sending out a weekly newsletter to students titled "The Hub." This newsletter will include information about what events are going on around campus, as well as featuring different organizations. Students should receive the newsletter each Friday.
"The Hub" is something Smith came up with on her own to further help students know what events are going on around campus. Smith says she has more time to work on the newsletter and will include what is coming out of the Student Organization office as well as campus events.
"The Office of Student Organizations has had a newsletter; it's something I believe David Taylor started while he was here, but 'The Hub' is specific to me," Smith said.
Along with being the go-to person for all student organizations, Smith will also be on the board that approves travel money for organizations. She will also review and approve any events and programs an organization wishes to host.
For organizations wishing to be featured in "The Hub," submissions must be made to Smith via email by Wednesdays at noon. The email must include information including why the organization should be featured and the names of both the president and advisor of the organization. A word document including a brief description of what is to be featured should be included, and any photos should be in JPEG format.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Pacer News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE PACER NEWS
RECENT THE PACER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists