Skyhawks Volleyball thinks pink against Eastern Illinois
The Skyhawks pinked out and rocked out with a 3-1 win against the Eastern Illinois Panthers. Before the game began, a special accomplishment was recognized that occurred on Oct. 20, 2012, when senior Kasey Elswick became the Ohio Valley Conference's all-time digs leader, scooping up her 2,458 career dig in the match at Morehead state. She currently leads the OVC with 495 digs and ranks ninth in the nation in that category according to the announcer.
Also in honor of Pink Out Day, free food and drinks were offered to the fans for the entire game. During warm up, the Skyhawks showed their support for breast cancer month by wearing their Pink Out shirts and changed just before the game started. Once the game was under way, we had a blow out when we won the first two sets, with scores of 22-25 for both sets.
During half time there was a costume contest, with three contestants: a monkey man, Reno 911 and a man dressed as a woman. No names were given, but the crowd was asked to cheer for their favorite. In the end, the monkey man stole first by a land slide and Reno 911 came in second. Both received a gift card to Brandy's.
Though only three guys were in the contest, many of the fans dressed up for Halloween and many more dressed for Pink Out Day. Once the third set began, it was quite a fight. Even one of the coaches got into the spirit. Panther's Head Coach Kate Price was yellow carded after arguing with the referees on a call. The Referee didn't change the call, but the Panthers were still able to win the third set with a score of 25-20.
On the last set, the Skyhawks got back into their groove and won with a score of 22-25. The Skyhawks did a great job and with the last push, #12 Taylor Simons gave us our final point. This game gave us an OVC Team Record of 5-6. The Assistant Coach was overheard saying after the game "maybe we should wear pink every time."
The next game will be Nov. 2, 2012, at Austin Peay, and you just might see some pink Skyhawks.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Pacer News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE PACER NEWS
RECENT THE PACER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections