Skyhawks Volleyball thinks pink against Eastern Illinois
The Skyhawks pinked out and rocked out with a 3-1 win against the Eastern Illinois Panthers. Before the game began, a special accomplishment was recognized that occurred on Oct. 20, 2012, when senior Kasey Elswick became the Ohio Valley Conference's all-time digs leader, scooping up her 2,458 career dig in the match at Morehead state. She currently leads the OVC with 495 digs and ranks ninth in the nation in that category according to the announcer.
Also in honor of Pink Out Day, free food and drinks were offered to the fans for the entire game. During warm up, the Skyhawks showed their support for breast cancer month by wearing their Pink Out shirts and changed just before the game started. Once the game was under way, we had a blow out when we won the first two sets, with scores of 22-25 for both sets.
During half time there was a costume contest, with three contestants: a monkey man, Reno 911 and a man dressed as a woman. No names were given, but the crowd was asked to cheer for their favorite. In the end, the monkey man stole first by a land slide and Reno 911 came in second. Both received a gift card to Brandy's.
Though only three guys were in the contest, many of the fans dressed up for Halloween and many more dressed for Pink Out Day. Once the third set began, it was quite a fight. Even one of the coaches got into the spirit. Panther's Head Coach Kate Price was yellow carded after arguing with the referees on a call. The Referee didn't change the call, but the Panthers were still able to win the third set with a score of 25-20.
On the last set, the Skyhawks got back into their groove and won with a score of 22-25. The Skyhawks did a great job and with the last push, #12 Taylor Simons gave us our final point. This game gave us an OVC Team Record of 5-6. The Assistant Coach was overheard saying after the game "maybe we should wear pink every time."
The next game will be Nov. 2, 2012, at Austin Peay, and you just might see some pink Skyhawks.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Pacer News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE PACER NEWS
RECENT THE PACER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership
- PAOLO NUTINI CELEBRATES U.S. RELEASE OF “CAUSTIC LOVE”
- CDA Launches New Digital Copper Learning Center