Sigma Tau Delta plans to host fundraiser and book drive
UTM's chapter of Sigma Tau Delta is not only celebrating their 50th anniversary this semester, but they are also planning several events that will be taking place on campus.
The English Honor Society will be holding a fundraiser to help raise money on Feb. 12-24. They will be set up in the stairwells of the Humanities building selling Valentine's Day cards for you to pick up for your loved ones. The cards will contain different love quotes from various movies, poems and famous works of literature. The cards will only be sold for a dollar, catering to college students' tight budgets. This will be set up between 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.
They will also be holding a book drive in the near future. The book drive will be through the company Better World Books, a group who has had over seven million books donated, over 98 million recycled or reused and has raised well over 13 million dollars for literacy and libraries. There will be boxes on every floor marked with the Better World Books name for people to drop their books in. Sigma Tau Delta will get one dollar for every usable book donated. They will be accepting books in any and all forms, from unwanted textbooks to books that have been collecting dust on the shelf.
This is a great opportunity to not only clean off your bookshelf, but also to help give those less fortunate a much needed education. The books that cannot be used for whatever reason will be recycled, and those that can be will be sent to Books for Africa. Over the past 12 months, Books for Africa, whose goal is to end the book famine in Africa, has shipped 2.2 million books to 22 African countries. While an official date for the drive has not been set, it will be shortly after students return from Spring Break so you have plenty of time to decide which books you're willing to part ways with.
The chapter is also looking for new members. All English majors, minors and education majors with an English concentration are encouraged to go to www.english.org to see if they meet the requirements to join. If you have any questions about any of the events or are curious about joining, you may contact Sigma Tau Delta President Laken Smith at email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Pacer News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE PACER NEWS
RECENT THE PACER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Modern-Day Party Do's and Don'ts
- Taking Care of Your Child's Eyes in Today's Digitally...
- Will the Movie Studio be the Next Heavy Hitter?
- Survey Shows Americans' Views on Dental Hygiene Differ by...
- Fire Away: How to Prepare For Hunting Season
- Novel Program Brings Hope to African Nation
- What Health Care Really Costs
- Millennials Cited for Rise in ETF Popularity
- Today's Convenience Stores are Healthier and Hipper Than...
- Gadgets to Make Your Commute More Comfortable
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 18-25 Years Old? EARN $80 IN 90 MINUTES for Participating in Research Study
- truth® CELEBRATES SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY MOVE TO TOBACCO-FREE
- vitaminwater® Announces Project Hustle Finalists
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS