Sigma Chi hosts live music for a cause
The brothers of Sigma Chi hosted a benefit concert Friday, March 15 at Cadillac's in Martin. The Kimberlie Helton Band entertained a crowd of 360 and tickets were sold for $5 in advance and $7 at the door. Up to $1000 from the event will be going to Sigma Chi's philanthropy, the Huntsman Cancer Institute.
Sigma Chi's Sweetheart, Lauren Conley of Alpha Omicron Pi, did all of the planning. Conley has served the fraternity for three years at UTM.
"Sigma Chi is a leadership fraternity that fosters ideals such as justice, a high sense of honor, good morals, learning, and responsibility. This fraternity sets itself apart by growing strong leaders and true gentlemen. John Wayne said it best, 'Men join fraternities. Leaders of men join Sigma Chi," Conley said.
While planning the event, Conley knew that Cadillac's was the perfect venue.
"Cadillac's has been here for a long time, and they have held some great events in the past," Conley said. "They see a lot of foot traffic every week, especially when they have concerts. So, I decided that it would be the perfect place to hold this event. And, after speaking with Johnny, the owner, I was proven right. Johnny was very helpful throughout the whole planning process. He runs a great business, and I really appreciated him letting us use his venue and all of his help the past few months."
The owner of Cadillac's, Johnny Nanney recommended the Kimberlie Helton Band to Conley and the brothers of Sigma Chi.
"Kimberlie is an awesome entertainer. She really does a good job working the crowd and has a wonderful voice," Nanney said.
Conley spoke on behalf of the brothers of Sigma Chi after the event.
"Both the band and Cadillac's were absolutely wonderful! The band did such a great job. They had the crowd dancing and singing the whole night. And Cadillac's was so helpful in the planning process and throughout the night. It was obvious that they cared about our fundraiser and wanted to help raise money," Conley said.
The frontwoman and lead singer, Kimberlie Helton also appreciated the work of Sigma Chi.
"The Sigma Chi guys were so great! Everyone was so friendly and personable. I was very impressed!" Helton said.
Johnny Nanney also had good things to say about the brothers.
"I enjoyed working with Sigma Chi. They really did a good job presaling tickets and bringing a crowd," Nanney said.
The concert kicked off a string of events that will begin on Monday, March 18 with Sigma Chi's annual philanthropy week, Derby Days. The brothers hold events every day to raise money for the Huntsman Cancer Institute. Last year, the brothers of Sigma Chi raised $7200 during Derby Days.
"And we hope to match that this year!" Conley said.
The fraternity's philanthropy, the Huntsman Cancer Institute, is a member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN), a non-profit alliance of the world's leading cancer centers. NCCN is dedicated to improving the quality and effectiveness of care provided to patients with cancer.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Pacer News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE PACER NEWS
RECENT THE PACER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
- 4 Basic Exercises to Help Older Adults Improve Strength...
- New Drug May Help Control the Spread of Cancer
- Uber to Passengers: Our Drivers May Be Unsafe
- Thermal Imaging Camera Helps Find Hidden Damage in Your Home
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!
- FARE's College Food Allergy Program Pilots in a Dozen Schools Nationwide
- HOTSHOT® HOT Canned Coffee gets a Jolt from Kickstarter
- From dating to internships - it's everything you need to know about college: The Her Campus Guide to College Life, Out Now