Students question UTM President's Day attendance
Many students have been wondering why UTM does not observe President's Day when so many other schools, associations and government businesses do. Bud Grimes, from the UTM Office of University Relations, said the decision to not observe President's Day is not determined by UTM. The University of Tennessee Resource department is responsible for distributing all of the days of scheduled closings for all UT campuses and institutes. Also UTM wasn't the only school that was required to attend classes last Monday; Academic Records said that neither UTM, UTK, nor the University of Memphis had President's Day off.
Although some may think that other national holidays should be observed, there is just not enough room on the university calendar.
"I believe that the university observes an appropriate number of holidays. I've never had Presidents Day as a holiday, so personally, I don't have strong feelings either way about this particular holiday," Grimes said.
Also, because UTM receives the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday off, if President's Day were taken off too, then Monday, Wednesday, Friday classes, and other combinations of Monday, classes would lose a second day of instruction from the teaching schedule. It is a requirement that the university schedule an appropriate amount of instruction time for semester weeks as well as the correct amount of time spent in each class.
It is required that UT be in compliance with the state in regard to observed holidays. However, currently both UT and Tennessee Board of Regents institutions observe more holidays than the state of Tennessee. The state observes 11 holidays throughout the year, including President's Day, Columbus Day and Veteran's Day, while both UT and TBR institutions observe 13 holidays of administrative closings.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Pacer News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE PACER NEWS
RECENT THE PACER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- 4-H Grown: Alumni Asked to Stand Up and Support STEM...
- Haven't Tried Sardines? Try These
- Weatherizing Your Home Can Mean Big Benefits
- 10 Tips to Stay Safe During Spring Break
- 10 Tips for Staying Safe During Spring Break
- 3 Things to Know Before Ride-Booking a Car
- For Advanced Heart Failure Patients, There Is Hope
- Bringing Chiropractic to the Little League
- Singapore Pastor Kong Hee Maintains Innocence, Gains...
- The Financial Implications of Heart Disease
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Study Finds College-age Millennials Hopeful for the Future, Worry about Student Loans and Overspending
- RetailMeNot Helps Students Save Money on Spring Break Travel
- Visit Virtual Study Abroad Fair on February 25 to explore study abroad options and win prizes
- Students kill three birds with one stone
- Sodexo Expands Ongoing Commitment to More Humane Supply Chain through its Comprehensive Animal Welfare Policy