Professor of history to speak on campus Feb. 8
Gene Allen Smith, a professor of history at Texas Christian University, will discuss his new book, The Slave's Gamble: Choosing Sides in the War of 1812, at 2 p.m., Feb. 8, in Watkins Auditorium, located on the first floor of the Boling University Center on the UTM main campus.
The discussion is a special Black History Month event, sponsored by the UTM Department of History and Philosophy and supported by the Tom Elam History Endowment.
Smith's new book, released Jan. 22, deals with "the often impossible choices African American slaves had forced upon them as a result of the War of 1812," said Dr. David Coffey, professor of history and department chair. "We are exceptionally fortunate that Dr. Smith made himself available for this event," he continued.
The presentation is free and open to the public. Smith will be available after the lecture to sign copies of his new book, which is on sale in the university bookstore and will also be available for purchase after the lecture.
Smith's appearance serves as an introduction to other Black History Month events, including the Conference on Civil Rights, which is hosted annually by the Department of History and Philosophy and scheduled for Feb. 18-22.
For more information, contact Coffey by phone at 731-881-7342 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Pacer News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE PACER NEWS
RECENT THE PACER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Not Seeing a Chiropractor Could Cost You
- Steampunk Steamrolls Into Living Rooms Nationwide
- Modern-Day Party Do's and Don'ts
- Taking Care of Your Child's Eyes in Today's Digitally...
- Will the Movie Studio be the Next Heavy Hitter?
- Survey Shows Americans' Views on Dental Hygiene Differ by...
- Fire Away: How to Prepare For Hunting Season
- Novel Program Brings Hope to African Nation
- What Health Care Really Costs
- Millennials Cited for Rise in ETF Popularity
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 18-25 Years Old? EARN $80 IN 90 MINUTES for Participating in Research Study
- truth® CELEBRATES SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY MOVE TO TOBACCO-FREE
- vitaminwater® Announces Project Hustle Finalists
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS