Professor of history to speak on campus Feb. 8
Gene Allen Smith, a professor of history at Texas Christian University, will discuss his new book, The Slave's Gamble: Choosing Sides in the War of 1812, at 2 p.m., Feb. 8, in Watkins Auditorium, located on the first floor of the Boling University Center on the UTM main campus.
The discussion is a special Black History Month event, sponsored by the UTM Department of History and Philosophy and supported by the Tom Elam History Endowment.
Smith's new book, released Jan. 22, deals with "the often impossible choices African American slaves had forced upon them as a result of the War of 1812," said Dr. David Coffey, professor of history and department chair. "We are exceptionally fortunate that Dr. Smith made himself available for this event," he continued.
The presentation is free and open to the public. Smith will be available after the lecture to sign copies of his new book, which is on sale in the university bookstore and will also be available for purchase after the lecture.
Smith's appearance serves as an introduction to other Black History Month events, including the Conference on Civil Rights, which is hosted annually by the Department of History and Philosophy and scheduled for Feb. 18-22.
For more information, contact Coffey by phone at 731-881-7342 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Pacer News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE PACER NEWS
RECENT THE PACER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership
- PAOLO NUTINI CELEBRATES U.S. RELEASE OF “CAUSTIC LOVE”