Professor of history to speak on campus Feb. 8
Gene Allen Smith, a professor of history at Texas Christian University, will discuss his new book, The Slave's Gamble: Choosing Sides in the War of 1812, at 2 p.m., Feb. 8, in Watkins Auditorium, located on the first floor of the Boling University Center on the UTM main campus.
The discussion is a special Black History Month event, sponsored by the UTM Department of History and Philosophy and supported by the Tom Elam History Endowment.
Smith's new book, released Jan. 22, deals with "the often impossible choices African American slaves had forced upon them as a result of the War of 1812," said Dr. David Coffey, professor of history and department chair. "We are exceptionally fortunate that Dr. Smith made himself available for this event," he continued.
The presentation is free and open to the public. Smith will be available after the lecture to sign copies of his new book, which is on sale in the university bookstore and will also be available for purchase after the lecture.
Smith's appearance serves as an introduction to other Black History Month events, including the Conference on Civil Rights, which is hosted annually by the Department of History and Philosophy and scheduled for Feb. 18-22.
For more information, contact Coffey by phone at 731-881-7342 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Pacer News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE PACER NEWS
RECENT THE PACER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”