Professor of history to speak on campus Feb. 8
Gene Allen Smith, a professor of history at Texas Christian University, will discuss his new book, The Slave's Gamble: Choosing Sides in the War of 1812, at 2 p.m., Feb. 8, in Watkins Auditorium, located on the first floor of the Boling University Center on the UTM main campus.
The discussion is a special Black History Month event, sponsored by the UTM Department of History and Philosophy and supported by the Tom Elam History Endowment.
Smith's new book, released Jan. 22, deals with "the often impossible choices African American slaves had forced upon them as a result of the War of 1812," said Dr. David Coffey, professor of history and department chair. "We are exceptionally fortunate that Dr. Smith made himself available for this event," he continued.
The presentation is free and open to the public. Smith will be available after the lecture to sign copies of his new book, which is on sale in the university bookstore and will also be available for purchase after the lecture.
Smith's appearance serves as an introduction to other Black History Month events, including the Conference on Civil Rights, which is hosted annually by the Department of History and Philosophy and scheduled for Feb. 18-22.
For more information, contact Coffey by phone at 731-881-7342 or by email at email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Pacer News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE PACER NEWS
RECENT THE PACER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Clues in the Attic: Pre-Winter Roof Checkups Made Easy
- Feeding Your Joints to Stay on the Move
- High Tech Pearls Are Captivating the Younger Jewelry...
- Making Halloween a Treat For Parents As Well As Kids
- Career in Sales Can Satisfy an Entrepreneurial Spirit
- Lighting Tips for Your Media Room
- The High Price of Health Care Illiteracy
- More Americans Choose Chiropractic Care: Gallup
- Is the Controversy Around Carrageenan Warranted?
- Limited Space, Big Love: Solutions for Cat Lovers in...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Event: Panel Discussion for Student Media
- All-New National Student Day Contest Opens Today
- Calling All College Football Fans: Samsung Milk Music Now Live Streaming Home and Away Feeds of NCAA Football Games
- Golden Door Scholars Expands Reach of College Scholarship Program for High-Performing Undocumented Students
- INTRODUCING: PAY YOUR SELFIE™, THE FIRST APP THAT PAYS CASH TO ANYONE FOR SELFIES