Professor of history to speak on campus Feb. 8
Gene Allen Smith, a professor of history at Texas Christian University, will discuss his new book, The Slave's Gamble: Choosing Sides in the War of 1812, at 2 p.m., Feb. 8, in Watkins Auditorium, located on the first floor of the Boling University Center on the UTM main campus.
The discussion is a special Black History Month event, sponsored by the UTM Department of History and Philosophy and supported by the Tom Elam History Endowment.
Smith's new book, released Jan. 22, deals with "the often impossible choices African American slaves had forced upon them as a result of the War of 1812," said Dr. David Coffey, professor of history and department chair. "We are exceptionally fortunate that Dr. Smith made himself available for this event," he continued.
The presentation is free and open to the public. Smith will be available after the lecture to sign copies of his new book, which is on sale in the university bookstore and will also be available for purchase after the lecture.
Smith's appearance serves as an introduction to other Black History Month events, including the Conference on Civil Rights, which is hosted annually by the Department of History and Philosophy and scheduled for Feb. 18-22.
For more information, contact Coffey by phone at 731-881-7342 or by email at email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Pacer News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE PACER NEWS
RECENT THE PACER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Key Ingredients for a Healthy Heart
- Spring Cleaning Made Easy to Help Tackle Inanimate Allergens
- For Love of the Game -- Smokeless Tobacco Still a Part of...
- How Plumbing Is Flushing Into the Future
- New App Takes the Task Out of Boat Maintenance
- Talk Before You Take When Dealing With Medicine
- Eclectic Father's Day Gift Ideas for Dad
- When on an Association Board, Education Is a Must
- Anti-Cancer Compounds Show Promise in Early Research
- 5 Ways to Keep Your Home Clean During a Remodel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'
- UT Austin Tops All-America Student Analyst Competition 2014-15
- SVG, NACDA Announce Finalists for 2015 College Sports Media Awards