Review: Hansel and Gretel refuses to bore its audience
Most fairy tales have a happily-ever after, but not this classic children's tale.
Hansel and Gretel was once a tale of helpless children surviving a witch attack, but now the children have grown up and fight back as Witch- Bounty Hunters. Director Tommy Wirkola lets his imagination run wild with gruesome fight scenes that make the viewer part of the madness in 3D, and sometimes have them on the edge of their seats in suspense. With an all-star cast that includes Jeremy Renner as Hansel, Gemma Arterton as Gretel, and the red-headed X-Man star, Famke Janssen, as Muriel the Grand Dark Witch. This film doesn't lack dark humor or dark magic.
Despite the fact that this movie has the back story on their childhood and first encounter with the dark arts, it isn't too superfluous in background detail and it was straight to the point. The story continues to unfold without making the viewers wait too long to see what's going to happen next.
The special effects in this movie seemed to have a gory, Quentin-Tarantino-kind-of-feel to them. Fair warning to those who can't take bloody violence; this movie is not for you. The violence in this movie was just enough to not get boring, and even some of the Hunter/Witch fight scenes had some comical moments in them.
The best part of the movie had to be the different types of witches that Wirkola featured in the movie. Their makeup was phenomenal, and it made some of the audience cringe when Famke's character changed from her human-form into a rotten-faced witch with black teeth and blue eyes.
Gemma's feisty character was always taking charge of the witchy situations. It's clear to see her role in the movie was to help keep her brother alive and to know all the information about the dark witches. Jeremy Renner's character was constantly taking a beating and handling it with clumsy grace that kept the audience laughing. The Hansel star had to be the favorite character of the movie.
This hour-and-a-half film is highly recommended to those who love the supernatural with a good fight scene thrown in a time or two. With witches, trolls and humans who don't fear death, this movie is definitely a must-see to the believers of magic.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Pacer News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE PACER NEWS
RECENT THE PACER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists