Review: Hansel and Gretel refuses to bore its audience
Most fairy tales have a happily-ever after, but not this classic children's tale.
Hansel and Gretel was once a tale of helpless children surviving a witch attack, but now the children have grown up and fight back as Witch- Bounty Hunters. Director Tommy Wirkola lets his imagination run wild with gruesome fight scenes that make the viewer part of the madness in 3D, and sometimes have them on the edge of their seats in suspense. With an all-star cast that includes Jeremy Renner as Hansel, Gemma Arterton as Gretel, and the red-headed X-Man star, Famke Janssen, as Muriel the Grand Dark Witch. This film doesn't lack dark humor or dark magic.
Despite the fact that this movie has the back story on their childhood and first encounter with the dark arts, it isn't too superfluous in background detail and it was straight to the point. The story continues to unfold without making the viewers wait too long to see what's going to happen next.
The special effects in this movie seemed to have a gory, Quentin-Tarantino-kind-of-feel to them. Fair warning to those who can't take bloody violence; this movie is not for you. The violence in this movie was just enough to not get boring, and even some of the Hunter/Witch fight scenes had some comical moments in them.
The best part of the movie had to be the different types of witches that Wirkola featured in the movie. Their makeup was phenomenal, and it made some of the audience cringe when Famke's character changed from her human-form into a rotten-faced witch with black teeth and blue eyes.
Gemma's feisty character was always taking charge of the witchy situations. It's clear to see her role in the movie was to help keep her brother alive and to know all the information about the dark witches. Jeremy Renner's character was constantly taking a beating and handling it with clumsy grace that kept the audience laughing. The Hansel star had to be the favorite character of the movie.
This hour-and-a-half film is highly recommended to those who love the supernatural with a good fight scene thrown in a time or two. With witches, trolls and humans who don't fear death, this movie is definitely a must-see to the believers of magic.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Pacer News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE PACER NEWS
RECENT THE PACER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Giving the Elderly a Lift -- In Their Home
- 4-H Grown: Alumni Asked to Stand Up and Support STEM...
- Haven't Tried Sardines? Try These
- Weatherizing Your Home Can Mean Big Benefits
- 10 Tips to Stay Safe During Spring Break
- 10 Tips for Staying Safe During Spring Break
- 3 Things to Know Before Ride-Booking a Car
- For Advanced Heart Failure Patients, There Is Hope
- Bringing Chiropractic to the Little League
- Singapore Pastor Kong Hee Maintains Innocence, Gains...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Potential health risks of hookah smoking are being overlooked by users
- Study Finds College-age Millennials Hopeful for the Future, Worry about Student Loans and Overspending
- RetailMeNot Helps Students Save Money on Spring Break Travel
- Visit Virtual Study Abroad Fair on February 25 to explore study abroad options and win prizes
- Students kill three birds with one stone