Skyhawks avoid Cougars grasp
The Skyhawks men's team finally got off of their four-game losing streak by defeating the SIUE Cougars 65-62.
In a game that started off very fast paced, the Skyhawks took an early 13-5 lead. UTM held off many first half charges by the Cougars, but ultimately controlled the ball and the lead in a very physical first half, entering the locker room with a 34-28 lead.
Once again the Skyhawks would build up a lead only to have the Cougars claw their way back into the game. This is a problem that the Skyhawks have faced all season, but it was on full display in Edwardsville on Saturday night.
With six minutes left in the game SIUE's junior forward Derian Shaffer went to the line after a foul from Skyhawks junior guard Mike Liabo. Shaffer nailed the shot tying the game. Four minute later senior forward Jerome James would hit a three to give the Cougars their first lead with just two minutes left in the game.
With under a minute left to play, sophomore forward Myles Taylor would hit three free throws to give the Skyhawks a 65-62 win. This was the Skyhawks first win since they beat Austin Peay at home Jan. 5, and only their sixth win this season.
Liabo led the team with 16 total points, three rebounds and one assist. Taylor finished the game with the team's only double-double with 12 points and 14 rebounds. He is currently on pace to become the first sophomore to finish the season ranked in the Top 5 in both scoring and rebounding. He is fifth in scoring (16.9 ppg) and tied for fifth place in rebounding (7.5 per game).
The Skyhawks return home Jan. 31 to take on Eastern Kentucky. To follow the game, follow The Pacer on Facebook and Twitter, @thepacer.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Pacer News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE PACER NEWS
RECENT THE PACER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths
- With Help From Chile, Blueberries Stay Fresh All Winter
- Small Fixtures Make a Big Design Impact
- Keeping the Workplace in Proper Alignment
- 5 Seasonal Invaders and How to Keep Them Out in the Cold
- Not Just a Man's World, Female Entrepreneurs Are Making...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- ASCO Numatics Announces 2015 Industrial Automation Engineering Scholarships
- Coffee Club Goes Viral With Members Earning Free Starbucks Cards
- UniversitySpot.com Introduces Extensive, Curated List of Free Online Courses for Winter 2015
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World